Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Reporting from work

This is my second day at work! Well, training at least. I am a sub for the head receptionist at Liberty Press. When I got the call to start training, I was expecting to be put into some cublicle and take 5 calls at the same time for hours on end. Instead, I walked into the large building to be greeted by my trainer, behind a large granite desk. I have my own settings on the computer, keep an eye on security cameras, and answer phone calls from all over the states. It's so weird going from no job experience (outside of babysitting) to what I feel like is a really good job. Granted, it's hard to keep the hang of it at first. I get calls and say "Liberty Press!" and all the person will say is "I need to speak to Mr. Oldham." uh..."Which one sir?" This is a family business, and there are ten different Oldhams here. Outside of the Oldhams, there are lists of other employees. Some you just transfer the call to then hang up. Others you transfer, call their intercom, then tell them "Hi Kathryn I have a Doug from IVSI for you." If they take it, great. If they want to forward it to their voicemail, you have to ask the caller if they want to be forwarded to the employee's voicemail. If they say no, then you tell them to call back later. If they say yes, you have to press Transfer, Voicemail, then the the person's extension. I think I'm getting it down, but there are still awkward moments where I press hold, and can't find the buttons or numbers I need. Overall I like it here. Everything in front of me is glass, the windows, walls, and doors. There's a water fountain to the left, where visitors can wait. Out the windows and to the right there is a park with large ponds and ducks and pelicans. It's a low paying paradise. ;) So far, I've gotten 8 calls, most of which have gone to a woman named Kathryn. She takes alot of sales calls, and is also the head secretary for the CEOs. Well now I gotta go. I figure I might as well do homework during down time. Buh Bye.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about above problem but your blog totally ruined my smiley face ;) lol :D

    ReplyDelete